You’ve likely heard of a mattress protector, but you won’t believe the benefits one can have! It not only has a huge affect on your sleep, but also on your mattress longevity! First, let’s talk about what a mattress protector is and what kinds there are.
What is a mattress protector?
A mattress protector is removable bedding that provides not only protection to your mattress, but to the sleeper as well! It provides a barrier between you and many allergens and irritants while also prolonging the lifespan of your mattress! There are three different styles of mattress protectors to choose from:
- Encased mattress protector — This covers the entire mattress and closes firmly with a zipper, providing the perfect option for those who want complete protection from allergens.
- Fitted mattress protector — Covers your mattress like a fitted sheet, with elastic edges and pocketed corners.
- Strapped end — This fits the mattress with elastic straps around the corners, providing a tighter fit on the top, but does not cover the sides of the mattress.
Reasons everyone should own a mattress protector
Your mattress gets extremely dirty over time, collecting many allergens and irritants that can negatively affect you and your sleep. In fact…
- The human body loses 1 liter of fluid per night through sweat. These bodily fluids break down the foam in the mattress 20-30% faster.
- Mattresses can harbor up to 2 million dust mites, which can lead to a sore throat, congestion, coughing, sneezing, and asthma (especially in kids).
- Travelers can pick up bed bugs on the road…and bring them home. Mattress protectors will help protect you from these!
- Without a mattress protector, many mattress warranties are voided.
Yes, your mattress can get that gross, but that’s more of a reason to look at affordable protectants!
Is a mattress protector the same as a topper or pad?
While many use these terms interchangeably, they are actually very different! Mattress protectors, toppers, and pads vary in style, fit, and purpose.
Mattress Topper — A mattress topper is used for the purpose of comfort, adding additional layers to the top of the mattress. They are typically made of foam or latex and provide an affordable, quick-fix for adding extra comfort. However, on the down-side, they hold your body heat and cause you to sweat more, resulting in the expedited break down of your mattress.
Mattress Pad — These are designed to add both the benefits of a mattress topper and mattress protector, but do so to a lesser degree. They are not as thick as mattress toppers, and therefore don’t add the same level of comfort. They also have some elements of protection in them, however it is not as effective as mattress protectors.
While they have similarities, neither can replace the benefits of a mattress protector. Purchasing one is a must for the health of you and your mattress! Shop mattress protectors at BR Mattress Outlet!
For a Limited Time, Receive a FREE Weekender Mattress Protector With Your Purchase!